Monday, May 24, 2010

Wardrobe Contest Winter 2010

I am hoping to join the Pattern Review Wardrobe Contest that will be on from June 1st until August 31st. Hope being the operative word.

DD2 needs a new wardrobe. She always takes her sisters hand-me-downs cheerfully and hardly ever gets new clothes. Even the stuff I sew, I usually make for DD1 first, and sometimes only her.

So this time, I figured, she was due some pampering. And, because of the big difference in body habitus, and the sixteen month age difference, they are almost in the same size RTW clothes.

So I mustered up the nerve to think about the wardrobe contest. 10 items in 14 weeks; sounds eminently doable, doesn't it? If you dont' factor in sleepless nights, parenting, and childminding as well as working.

Still, I want to have a go.

The rules are:
4 tops
4 bottoms
1 topper (cardi, shrug, jacket etc)
1 free choice/ RTW item

All tops must go with all bottoms. The topper must go with all 9 items, unless the free choice item is another topper.

I thought initially of going with 4 plain bottoms and 4 printed tops. But then I got to thinking, children's clothes are often so colourful, and there is a riotous display of prints, colours and even textures. It is the one time in life they don't have to worry about looking conservative/ appropriate.

And then I began doing a search on mixing prints, and what do you know, that is apparently in season NOW. So I have some tutorials, and I got some fabrics together, but I don't know...what do you think, if you are reading this?

I bumped into a design student, and asked her, and she was of the opinion that I should go for it, and liked my choices, but then I am not 20...

So what do I do?

These are my choices: I have uploaded the combinations on my flickr account

And here are some examples:

This is the collection of fabric I want to use to make the tops, including the topper, which is the deep purple at the top.



The fabrics for the bottoms - 2 florals for the skirts, and 2 denims for the pants.

Put together : opinions? Good, bad, crazy good, crazy bad? Insane?
Combination #1

Combination #2

Combination #3

Combination #4

Combination #5
Combination #6
Combination #7
Combination #8
Combination #9
Combination #10
Combination #11
Combination #12
Combination #13
Combination #14
Combination #15
Alternate Combination 
Alternate combination using gingham
Combination #16





No comments: